Wednesday, April 4, 2007

In the author’s own words…

Capturing Sunrays in a Glass Jar is my first attempt to begin understanding how poetry can be seen versus read. Initially, this project was a way for me to express myself, document poetry, and share personal viewpoints within the blog world. It eventually evolved into a book idea, for friends only, as a personal gift to those I cherish the most; the persons who have shaped my development as a writer and an individual. As a result of several requests, edits and long hours of preparedness transformed random thoughts into what I passionately call a chronicle of “visual poetry.” The idea was simple, transfer the stories I see unfolding in my mind directly to the page for a reader to experience.

As a writer who loves words, but hates to read, composing Capturing Sunrays in a Glass Jar was quite difficult. This challenge left me charged with creating a larger poetic picture by using smaller poems, similar to written mosaics. The ultimate struggle was in attempting to convey purpose and meaning for each piece without disrupting the book’s flow. Admittedly, there were times when I lost focus and wanted to quit, however, fate has its divine place. This realization led me towards making Capturing Sunrays in a Glass Jar the type of book which is to be seen and not simply read.

It is a book created in effort to provide profound examples of how poetry can tell vivid stories that touch the reader; allowing them to swap places with the characters. The pieces within this book grant the reader an opportunity to feel their pain, pleasure, disappointment, joy, and grief. As the reader, I encourage you to challenge yourself to connect with the concrete abstractness of the text; it was written to help broaden your belief in the power of the written word. Consider this book an extension of self – mine to yours.

No comments: